Dispute A Bill

Central Billing issues monthly bills to property owners for water, sewer, and/or trash charges. Payments can be made by cash, check, money order, or credit card.

Unpaid or partially paid bills will accrue interest on the total remaining balance until paid in full.

Review of Charges
Property owners have 90 days from the date of a bill to request a review of charges incurred on the bill, whether paid or unpaid. After 90 days, bill modifications and credits will be considered only at the City’s discretion. This applies to interest, leak abatements, discount/exemptions, estimated bills, and all other billing concerns.

Under the City’s leak abatement policy, certain properties are eligible for a credit of a portion of the excess water use charges if a leak is discovered and corrected. The City reserves the right to request evidence such as photos or repair receipts to support any leak claims.

Owner-occupied properties and senior residents may be eligible for certain bill reductions. It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that all documentation is properly submitted to the Central Billing office. Discounts/exemptions will not be applied retroactively prior to the date the documentation is received.

Mailing Address
The City mails paper bills to property owners using the address on file with the Central Billing office. It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that this address is kept up to date.

 “The failure of the customer or the customer’s agent to receive notice of the water bill does not relieve the customer from the obligation of its payment or from the consequences of nonpayment.” City of Chelsea Code of Ordinances, Chapter 30, Article III, Sec. 30-65 (d)

If you would like to dispute a water, sewer, and trash bill, please contact the Central Billing office 617-466-4040. Disputing a bill may have a different outcome based on the individualized situation.

Bill Dispute Policy